Grooming your dog at home will save you time and money. It is also much less stressful for your dog. If you are thinking of doing some home grooming, you need to have the right supplies. Wahl Dog Grooming Supplies are well-known in the pet industry for being affordable, safe and effective.
When you’re buying grooming supplies for your pets, you need to be cautious of their ingredients. This is especially important if your dog has dry and/or sensitive skin. Will the products be safe for your dog? Will they aid in the overall health and well-being of your pup’s skin and coat?
When shopping for grooming products, you need to look for gentle ingredients that won’t dry out the skin and leave the coat dry and brittle. The fragrance should come from natural ingredients, not artificial perfumes. Of course, you want Fido’s coat to be shiny and clean, but you can’t sacrifice his health for that!
Many of the common ingredients found in cheap dog shampoos and conditioners could be toxic to your dog over time. You may be one of the millions of pet owners who don’t realize that the regulations on pet products aren’t as strict as the regulations placed on human products.
The broad loopholes in the pet product industry allow companies to use cheap ingredients to make their products. The cheaper the cost to them, the cheaper the product is for consumers. And, we all know that many consumers shop based on price alone.
Table of Contents
- Wahl Dog Grooming Supplies Review
- Waterless Shampoo
- Grooming Wipes
Wahl Dog Grooming Supplies Review
Wahl Pet Shampoos are concentrated, which means you don’t need to use as much as you would with a typical pet shampoo. That means you get more washes per bottle and more bang for your buck.
The shampoos have a rich lather, which you can see in my video review above. Even though the lather is thick, the shampoo is very easy to rinse. This is a MUST for me when shopping for dog shampoo. I will not use products that require 2 or 3 rinses to fully remove the product from the coat.
This shampoo comes in Oatmeal and Calming formula. The Calming formula is made with lavender and chamomile to help relax your pet during bath time. The Oatmeal formula is specifically formulated to help soothe and heal dry, itchy skin.
The ingredients in each formula are:
- Oatmeal: Purified Water (Aqua), Sodium Laureth Sulfate (Cleanser From Refined Coconut Oil), Soyamide (Cleanser From Refined Soy), Egms (Pearlizing Agent), Cocoamidopropyl Betaine (Cleanser From Coconut Fatty Acids), Polysorbate-20 (Sugar Cleanser), Glycerin (Vegetable Glycerin), Aloe Vera, Oatmeal Extract, Fragrance, Potassium Sorbate (Freshness Assurer), Fda Approved Colors.
- Calming: Purified Water (Aqua), Sodium Laureth Sulfate (Cleanser from Refined Coconut Oil), Soyamide (Cleanser from Refined Soy), Cocoamidpropyl Betaine (Cleanser from Coconut Fatty Acids), EGMS (Pearlizing Agent), Polysorbate-20 (Sugar Based Emulsifier), Glycerin (Vegetable Glycerin), Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride (Guar Based Conditioner), Chamomile Extract, Fragrance, Potassium Sorbate (Freshness Assurer), FDA Approved Colors.
As you can see, these shampoos are not 100% natural. They work well for our dogs, but none of my pups have sensitive skin. If your pooch does have sensitive skin, these shampoos may not be the best option.
You can also buy this Wahl Dog Grooming Supplies shampoo in Odor Control, Puppy, Shed Control, Whitening and Flea & Tick formulas. A 24-ounce bottle of the Oatmeal formula is $5.99 on Amazon and the same bottle of the Calming shampoo is $7.99 on Amazon.
Wahl Dog Grooming Supplies also makes a waterless shampoo that is also available in Oatmeal and Calming formulas. This dry shampoo is easy to use between baths to keep your dog clean and smelling fresh.
All you have to do is rub it into his skin and down to his coat. Allow the shampoo to dry, and that’s it! No rinsing, no bathtub and no water. Keep in mind that dry shampoo is not a substitute for regular bathing.
Wahl Waterless Dog Shampoo comes in a 7.1-ounce bottle with a convenient pump top. All of the Wahl Dog Grooming Supplies mentioned in this review are pH balanced, alcohol free and paraben free.
The full list of ingredients include:
- Oatmeal: Purified Water (Aqua), Sodium Laureth Sulfate (Cleanser from Refined Coconut), Coco-Glucoside (Cleanser Derived from Coconut Oil and Sugar), Coco-Betaine (Cleanser Derived from Coconut Oil), Lauryl Glucoside (Cleanser Derived from Coconut Oil and Sugar), Vegetable Glycerin (Natural Moisturizer), Oatmeal Extract (Natural Moisturizer & Emollient), Aloe Vera (Soothing Properties), Potassium Sorbate (Freshness Assurer), Caramel Color.
- Calming: Purified Water (Aqua), Sodium Laureth Sulfate (Cleanser from Refined Coconut), Coco-Glucoside (Cleanser Derived from Coconut Oil and Sugar), Coco-Betaine (Cleanser Derived from Coconut Oil), Lauryl Glucoside (Cleanser Derived from Coconut Oil and Sugar), Vegetable Glycerin (Natural Moisturizer), Chamomile Extract (Soothing Properties), Decolorized Aloe Vera (Soothing Properties), Potassium Sorbate (Freshness Assurer), FD&C Color.
Again, while these ingredients are derived from plants, many of them are highly processed. Our dogs have not had any skin or coat issues after being cleansed with these Wahl Dog Grooming Supplies, but a dog with sensitive skin or skin allergies may be affected.
You can purchase a 7.1-ounce bottle of this waterless shampoo from Wahl on Amazon for $5.97. That’s comparable to similar products, and it’s certainly affordable for pet owners on a budget.
Grooming wipes, like waterless shampoo, can come in handy between baths. They are convenient to have on hand to clean muddy paws or wipe a messy snout. These wipes from Wahl are 100% safe to use on all areas of your pet’s body.
The wipes are made with an alcohol-free formula. They use the same lavender and chamomile scent found in the regular and waterless shampoos. This scent is formulated to help calm your pet during grooming.
The ingredient list for these wipes is exactly the same as the ingredients in the waterless shampoo of the same scent. You can purchase a container of 50 wipes on Amazon for $8.49 right now.
These wipes are comparable in price to similar products. They are a bit thin, but large enough to use on ever size of dog. While I wish they were a bit thicker, they are still a decent value for the money.
READ NEXT: Dog Grooming Supplies 101 – The Ultimate Buyers’ Guide